I can see it in my mind’s eye so clearly. I can feel it in my soul. Shoot, I can nearly taste it.
Sunday morning. My mother in the kitchen. She would be nearly ready for church – only the finishing touches remain. Her Sunday finery would be covered by a full length apron. She is getting Sunday lunch ready – at least ready enough. All she’ll have to do when we get back from church is brown the rolls and dish it up. On the very special days – the days when dessert would be strawberry shortcake or peaches – she would let me make the whipped cream. The very best tasting topping was made when we used Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. It wasn’t so much making the cream that I enjoyed – it was getting to lick the beaters when the mixing was done.
After church, we would sit around the table. We all had our designated spots where we sat meal after meal. We would eat delicious food, tell all the familiar stories again and again and laugh like crazy. Simply, we would be together. Afterward – we’d scatter. My oldest brother normally had a girl to go visit. My other big brother would find a horse to ride or a pond in which to fish. I’d usually hop on my bike and meet up with friends.
True enough…I enjoyed the food (especially the peaches and cream) but more than anything, looking back, I cherish the time together. The stories. The laughter.
I still do.
Time and time again, we have demonstrated how much we at JCBC love to be together. Whether it’s a baseball game, a hockey game or a simple shared meal – smiles and laughter abound whenever we gather. So…let’s gather.
Sunday August 7th is Food Truck Sunday at JCBC! Immediately after worship, we’ll gather in the Children’s parking area. Some local favorites – Happy Belly, Sweet Auburn Barbeque and Patty Wagon will be on hand with trucks full (literally) of delicious food for purchase. A wide variety of menu options will be available. King of Pops will be here too, to help cool us down. You will also have the chance to enjoy some live music in the background.
Not for nothing…this is an excellent outreach opportunity for you. Shaun will be kicking off a new sermon series that day – The Games – as well. We will have plenty of food and your guests will get a chance to experience what it feels like to be in the midst of people who genuinely love each other.
We’ll gather, eat…then scatter. Most of all, we’ll be together for a little while. A final summer outing…
Here’s some things to keep in mind:
- We really, really want you to come. The party isn’t complete (or as much fun) without you.
- Please purchase lunch from the trucks. They have minimums…help us reach them. (I know that Jason’s Deli, Chipotle, Chili’s and Applebee’s will take a little hit that day…but they’ll forgive you.
- Bring sunscreen, a hat, an umbrella, a canopy tent or whatever you like. Throw in some extra water (Drinks will also be available from the trucks). Break out the funeral fans. Canopy tent people…please leave the shaded spots for the tent-less.
- All trucks accept cash or credit cards. Bring your wallets – lunch is on you.
- Bring chairs or blankets for the ground. We will have a few tables and chairs available – but not nearly enough for everyone. Throw in your lawn chairs…and maybe an extra one or two.
Johns Creek Baptist Church